One of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide is offering an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery they are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects across sectors including Aviation, Defence, Energy, Cities and Development, Education, Rail and Water.
They provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of projects relating to buildings and infrastructure. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects across sectors including; Education, Commercial, Residential, Defence, Energy and Transportation.
The Bristol office is looking to appoint a Structural Engineer into the Structures team to help deliver work on major defense and nuclear projects in the South West. Successful candidates will be required to work a minimum of 3 days per week from a client office or construction site in Devon or Somerset.
You will have the opportunity to work with major clients on stimulating and high-profile projects in the UK. As well as the role providing technical and creative challenges you will have the satisfaction of working on projects which are changing the way people live and work today.
This role will require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance.
• Degree in Structural or Civil Engineering.
• Chartered Engineer (MIStructE or MICE) or near Chartered.
• Proven experience in the design of structures using the conventional engineering materials (steel concrete, timber, masonry) to Eurocodes.
• Have experience in several, and ideally all of the following areas;
• UK MoD Defence Projects (JSP’s, CTM etc)
• Submarine Facilities Design
• Nuclear Projects (Satisfying Safety Cases)
• Seismic Design and Detailing (Steel and Concrete to US Codes)
• Maritime Design (BS 6349)
• Heavy Civils Design
• Building Design
• Acting as a Discipline Lead
• Design and/or Project Management
• Experience in the use of structural analysis design software. (Robot Structural Analysis and Revit experience is desirable but not essential).
• Willingness and flexibility to learn new software.
• Embrace new technologies including digital engineering, automation and parametric design.
• Strong communication and presentation skills that can support our client relationships.
• A flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given.
• You should have the ability to make decisions, act on your own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
• A curious minded individual who enjoys the stimulation of exchanging ideas with others.
• Use your technical skills and knowledge on a wide range of building structures and apply to various circumstances.
• Develop conceptual solutions to problems through to detailed design.
• Contribute to the development of the multi-disciplined project team’s approach.
• Assist in the execution of projects within defined design and cost parameters.
• Undertake research, data collection and presentation of information.
• Present results to clients under supervision of a lead designer.
• Comply with Quality and Technical Assurance Procedures.
• Be aware of and work in compliance with BIM standards, Digital Plan of Work and the project BIM Execution plan.
• Experience with parametric modelling software and software coding (Dynamo, python, C++ etc.) is desirable and may be a development target.
• Represent on site visits and at design team meetings.
• Assist/mentor the development of apprentice and less experienced staff.
• Be proactive in self-development.
• Help maintain a broad range of skills within the team to ensure full support is provided to the design staff.
What we offer
• Support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important.
• Flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office.
• IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; will work for you.
• Corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
• Consultancy believes in developing individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process.
Rewards and Benefits
• Offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
• To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. You will also have access to Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.