Design Manager – Main Contractor
£50,000 – £70,000 base salary + £5k Car Allowance +7 % Pension + BUPA Healthcare + Bonus
A unique opportunity to join Tier 1 Main Contractor in London, who work on exciting and challenging projects across variety of sectors with great reputation.
This main contractor is looking for either strong Assistant Design Manager or Design Coordinator, who is ready for their next step to progress to Design Manager. They are looking for someone who can manage the overall design from tender stage through to completion of design.
This London region is working on projects from £10million up to £150million across variety sectors including residential, mix use and commercial schemes. They have group turnover of £1 Billion and grown to become prestigious Main Contractor with excellent pipeline of work across private and public sector.
They offer Design Manager excellent training and development to upskill and progress their career. They have great fun and family feel culture. They are technology focused and use modern methods of construction to deliver a high-quality product to their clients.
I am ideally looking for someone with good experience working on healthcare projects with a main contractor, who has been site based focused on delivery.
Overview of responsibilities:
- Have a sound understanding of the design process across all disciplines and manage interfaces and sequencing of design.
- Managing the design process, with a high focus on buildability and efficiency, to ensure the optimum solution is arrived at.
- Prepare and manage a detailed design and procurement programme considering all of the design interdependencies prevalent on large scale construction projects and linked to construction activities.
- Monitor and report on the design programme on a regular basis.
- Prepare, monitor and maintain a detailed Information Release Schedule which is backed by the design, procurement and construction programmes.
- Chair and minute regular design and technical meetings to ensure the design is developed in accordance with budget, programme and technical constraints.
- Challenge the design of external consultants to ensure best value.
- Examine all design information for compliance with commercial constraints, liaise with Commercial team where required.
- Identify and manage design associated risks.
- Identify Value Engineering opportunities and innovative alternative methods of construction.
- Investigate and analyse alternative specifications to ensure compliance and equivalency with Contract Requirements.
- Manage design change control process.
- Manage RFI process.
- Manage flow of design information and give direction to the Project Admin / Document Controller.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Construction related degree, ideally within design management (HNC / HND minimum).
- Design management experience with Main Contractor
- Good commercial and technical awareness within building technology and regulations