A premium regional housebuilder are looking for a Technical Manager to oversee their technical department. Reporting to the Managing Director and working closely with the Land Manager and Construction team, this will be a new role within this small but growing developer.
The developer is embarking on a growth plan and currently has 5 developments either recently under construction or due to start in the coming months. This is an excellent opportunity for a proven Technical Candidate to make a positive contribution in a small company with exciting growth.
There is flexibility with the role and it would be open to an Architectural Technologist who is seeking a move as a Technical Coordinator, however previous experience working with/alongside developers is essential. Ideally a proven technical coordinator/manager is preferred.
The candidate should have a strong housing background within the building industry either for a developer or Architectural Practice. The successful candidate will need to have and be able to demonstrate a thorough constructional knowledge as well as a keen knowledge of the Building Regulations & NHBC requirements. The client requires someone to be proficient in AutoCAD. The Technical Manager who secures this role will be involved in site evaluations, architectural and engineering design and investigations within any technical problems encountered. The Technical department of the company are involved with the project from inception to completion and from time to time involved with defect solutions with the customer care team. The Technical Manager will be responsible for technical specifications in line with requirements determined by the Land Acquisition budget.
Salary: £45,000 – £55,000 per annum + car allowance
Benefits: Mileage allowance, 28 days holiday, 10% discretionary bonus scheme, pension scheme, etc
- Oversee all technical aspects of multiple projects
- Amending or preparing working drawings & details to a very high standard
- Co-ordinate external design consultants, tendering and appointing design consultants, checking their designs for compatibility and suggesting any changes required.
- Planning consent through design and onto procurement, construction, and sales
- Manage design processes to secure accurate and comprehensive sets of information
- Procurement of utilities, programming, fees budget management, discharge of planning/building regulation conditions, procurement of warranties, checking of conveyance plans and easements
- Manage and oversee design coordination of the Mechanical and Electrical design and installation.
- Co-ordinate consultants to deliver the civil engineering designs including legal plans.
- Co-ordinate submission of designs and securing technical approvals for agreements such as S104, S38 and S278.
- Managing and satisfying regulatory bodies such as Planning, Building Control, and the Fire Brigade
- Following the issue of information to site and work closely with the commercial department to ensure all relevant orders are in place and then with the site and sales teams to support them through construction and sales.
- Co-ordinate information and liaise with architects, civil and structural engineers and landscape architects, ensuring consistency between various designs.
- Assist the Land & Development teams with advice during the land acquisition stage
- Assist in the information to discharge of planning conditions.
- Prepare all drawings and documents for Pre-Start Meetings & handover packs.
- Prepare and chairing Design team meetings.
- Producing request for information in line with the procurement schedule and program as ensure deadlines are achieved.
- Monitor and report technical & development fees including S106 obligations.
- Good level of IT literacy with experience of AutoCAD, Outlook, Excel & Word,
- Able to work under pressure, with the ability to make decisions within authority
- Be practical and methodical with good analytical skills and commercially astute
- Good level of communication skills, with the necessity to liaise with internal staff and external bodies
- Strong mathematical ability.
- Architectural drawing experience at either a practice or developer along with a minimum of two years technical management experience
- They will have a good understanding of building techniques, materials, and regulations, along with excellent communication and personnel skills
- The role will be challenging and will require hard work and dedication but will be fully supported and provide both job satisfaction and long term prospects
- Experience of managing both medium-rise complex developments and green-field housing developments
- Up to date knowledge of CDM regulations
- Qualification in building / architecture (BTEC level 4-5 / HNC/D or a Degree) and or Degree educated in relevant disciplines, such as Architecture, Design, Planning, Civil Engineering or the Built Environment
- CIAT / MCIAT preferred but not essential
- 3+ years relevant experience
- Demonstrate a thorough constructional knowledge as well as a keen knowledge of the Building Regs & NHBC requirements
- Proficient in AutoCAD
- Excellent technical knowledge
- Previous experience working for developer/house builder (highly advantageous)
If you are interested in this position, please apply with your CV.