Design Manager – Main Contractor
65-75K + Package
A unique opportunity to join a growing Main Contractor in Central London, who work on exciting and challenging projects across variety of sectors with great reputation for delivering results
This main contractor is looking for a strong Design Manager who can Lead, manage and support all pre and post contract design activities associated with bidding, procurement, construction and defects.
This technology focused contractor utilises modern methods of construction working on framework projects, such as Schools, Healthcare and MOD’s.
They have turnover of £130million and grown to become a leading Specialist Modular Main Contractor with excellent pipeline of work.
They offer Design Managers excellent training and development to upskill and progress their career. They have great fun and family feel culture.
- Demonstrate design leadership qualities to encourage effective design team and construction team co-ordination and collaborative working to meet the Project goal
- Review tender documentation and assist the commercial team to prepare the ITT.
- Undertake review of the design, procurement and construction information to ensure compliance with project documentation, client’s output specifications, contract proposals submission and statutory requirements.
- Identify opportunities to improve the design by considering how to improve safety, incorporate buildability, improve quality, reduce defects, and provide best value compliant solutions
- In conjunction with the Project team, develop and reach agreement on the design programme and Information deliverables, ensuring this is fully co-ordinated with the project procurement and construction programmes. Pro-actively manage the flow of design information and document control (CDE) and RFI's
- Review safety risks checking they are identified, eliminated, reduced or controlled in line with CDM requirements. Ensure designers are carrying out their duties, and where required, support the role of Principal Designer in line with current CDM (2015)
- Reporting to the Technical Director, take responsibility for the management of the design through preconstruction and construction stages in line with company procedures, including managing the design development process and the interface with specialist sub-contract design
- Organising and chairing design co-ordination and design progress meetings with the design team and sub-contractors. Prepare minutes, notes and reports as required to ensure effective communication and accurate records are maintained.
- Undertake BIM coordination review with BIM / Design coordinator.
- Coordinate with
- Their in-house factory on design details.
- Responsible for consultant appointments, valuation and payments.
- Review and approve consultant design and sub-contractor drawings.
- Responsible for Planning, Building Control, NHBC submissions and liaising with statutory bodies.
- Responsible to ensure compliance the Environmental Certification required i.e. BREEAM / DREAM /Passivhaus
- Support and assist the procurement process and appointment of sub-contractors.
- Manage the preparation of H&S files, O&M manuals.
Skills & Experience
- Have a technical / design background within Design Management, ideally coming from a main contractor or architectural practice
- Strong leadership and management skills, with a “can-do” and collaborative approach
- A thorough understanding of both the design and construction processes, and the interface between them
- A good commercial understanding of contracts, procurement routes and risk management
- Construction related degree with relevant experience (Architecture, Structural & Civil etc)
- Demonstrated track record of managing time, cost and design coordination successfully
- Strong working knowledge of Revit and AutoCAD
- Have a good understanding of CDM 2015
If this is something you would like to hear more about please call me on 07485308791 or email me [email protected]