Design Manager – Main Contactor
£75,000 base salary + plus £5.5k car + Pension +Healthcare + Life Assurance
This main contractor is looking for either strong Design Manager who can Lead, manage and support all pre and post contract design activities associated with bidding, procurement, construction and defects. This a unique opportunity to join a well-established Main Contractor, who work on exciting and challenging residential projects with great reputation for delivering results.
The design manager is expected to control and look after two residential projects ranging from £20M-£40M, one based in North London and another based in North West London.
They started off, 51 years ago, as a joinery company then moved into the regeneration market and 30 years ago, they set up a New Build construction division. They have great family values and have a strong ethos on development from within. Overall, a superb company to work for.
Overview of role
- Lead the design work with Senior Design Manager, Operations Lead, Project Managers and Commercial Manager to ensure technical function is effective and efficient on all live sites
- Review alternative build methods and practices
- Along with the Senior Design Manager develop, control and manage the project specific Design Programme which is part of broader Master Delivery Programme
- Liaise with the Client’s Planning Teams (if applicable) to ensure the designs issued for planning applications are as technically compliant with all statutory design standards as possible
- Manage and coordinate external consultants in their day-to-day duties related to design, coordination and technical aspects of production information and to ensure delivery within the constraints of time, quality, budget and technical requirements
- Organise and manage weekly, fortnightly, or monthly technical coordination workshops, Package Reviews and Design Team Meetings
- Ensure translation of the planning scheme into an efficient and workable commercial solution
- Oversee document control with regards to registration and distribution of design and technical information
- Liaise with key personnel within the project team in preparation of project costing and design works
- Co-ordinate all technical information from start to completion of project.
- Work with Senior Design Manager to submit, manage and present the sign off of specific design issues and samples/mock-ups to the right project team
- Review tenders as part of the bid team to assess the quality of received information, identify value engineering opportunities, risks, collate consultants cost and prepare contractors proposals
- Manage and drive external consultants in the preparation and issue of production information to an agreed programme
- Review / Interrogate the consultants and subcontractors’ drawings, and hold package review meetings with relevant site team members
- Review ER technical specifications
- Keep the Senior Design Manager appraised of all design and technical issues arising which may influence productivity and progress
- Constantly monitor all production information and consultant activities against budgetary allowances and report any variances
- Ensure all statutory enquiries, crossovers, sewer connections etc., are submitted and pursued for their timely return
- Work with the design team to resolve clearance of planning conditions, building regulation approval, warranty provider, project insurance conditions, party wall conditions, HQI’s, SBD conditions, SAP rating etc. ·
- Monitor and control all production information in close liaison with the project surveyor to ensure cost controls are kept and information produced is in line with the budget
- Ensure that United Living’s drive for world class Health and Safety is delivered in all aspects of your work
- Ensure that all aspects of the building design are fully coordinated including but not restricted to, structures, M&E, façades, internal specification, service strategies, maintenance strategies etc.
- Monitor changes from Client, design consultants, subcontractors and proposed changes by construction team
- Manage the RFI and distribute to the relevant parties · Participate in the collation and handover of completed design record e.g. O&M manuals, Resident pack, CDM Files etc.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Architectural qualification (or equivalent design, technical and/or construction-based qualification)
- Main contractor or developer experience as a design manager or technical manager is essential
- Proven track record of delivering residential RC Frame projects from cradle to grave
If you are interested in this exceptional opportunity, please call me for a confidential discussion on 07485308791 or email your details to [email protected]