A consortium including 44 housing associations will create more than 800 new job placements for unemployed young people through the government’s Kickstart Scheme.
Placements for 16 to 24-year-olds will include roles in IT, customer service, marketing, development and housing (picture: Getty)
Clarion Housing Group, the largest housing association in the UK, will lead the consortium, having secured £6m in funding through the programme, which was unveiled last summer as part of ministers’ post-pandemic recovery plan.
The Kickstart Housing Network, which currently involves 59 member organisations in total, will provide placements for 16 to 24-year-olds across England and Wales claiming Universal Credit.
The scheme will see the government pay 100% of the national minimum wage to those hired for a six-month work placement.
Clarion will be directly employing 301 young people through the initiative, providing training through its charitable foundation, Clarion Futures.
It will assign a mentor to every young person given a placement through the scheme.
Placements will include roles in IT, customer service, marketing, development and housing, Clarion said.
The 125,000-home landlord plans to make further bids for Kickstart funding as part of the consortium, with a target to deliver more than 1,000 placements by the end of the programme.
Clare Miller, chief executive of Clarion, said: “Clarion has a proud record of supporting people into work and I am delighted we will be giving opportunities to hundreds of young people to start their careers in housing.
“The Kickstart Scheme is a very welcome initiative, helping young people to access opportunities and fulfil their potential.
“It is a great example of government and the housing sector working together to meet the challenges we all face as we recover from the pandemic.”
Members of the Kickstart Housing Network are:
- A2Dominion Residential
- ABCA Systems
- Adra (Tai) Cyfyngedig
- Apna Ghar Housing Association
- Arhag Housing Association
- Citizens Advice Broxbourne
- BSW Heating
- Cadwyn Housing Association
- Chichester Community Development Trust
- Clarion Housing Group
- Community Gateway Association
- Derventio Housing Trust
- Eastlight Community Homes
- Ekaya Housing Association
- Gas Contract Services
- Havering Volunteer Centre
- Hyde Housing Association
- Innisfree Housing Association
- John Taylor Hospice
- Lancaster City Council (housing service)
- Learning & Skills Solutions
- Leeds & Yorkshire Housing Association
- Manningham Housing Association
- Morgan Lambert
- Mosscare St Vincent’s Housing
- Nehemiah Housing Association
- Newydd Housing Association (1974)
- Newydd Maintenance
- North London Muslim Housing Association
- Nottingham City Homes
- Octavia Housing
- Orbit Group
- Origin Housing
- Orwell Housing Association
- PA Housing
- Peabody Trust
- Peter Bedford Housing Association
- Preston Vocational Centre
- Raven Housing Trust
- Saxon Weald
- Six Town Housing
- Southern Housing Group
- Sovereign Housing Association
- Sporting Inspirations CIC
- Tamil Community Housing Association
- TB Hull and East Riding
- The Community Housing Group
- The Havering Theatre Trust
- The Industrial Dwellings Society (1885)
- The Swaythling Housing Society
- Thirteen Group
- Tower Hamlets Community Housing
- Tuntum Housing Association
- Walsall Housing Group
- West Kent Housing Association
- Westway Housing Association
- Witton Lodge Community Association
- Yorkshire Housing